MEMORANDUM The Nerds Have It
Young, talented and enhancing culture through art & media designed to combat social norms that challenge stereotypes, which spark conversations, enhance & educate the audience!
Donald Glover Overview:
Comedian, writer and actor Donald Glover makes it all look easy. Having co-founded the popular Internet sketch comedy troupe Derrick Comedy, written for one much-lauded sitcom and starred on another, it would seem that everything Glover touches turns to success. What’s more likely is that he’s insanely talented, terrifically funny and genuinely charismatic. As if comedy and acting weren’t enough, Glover is a successful and Grammy-nominated rapper who performs under the name Childish Gambino. Save some of the talent for everyone else, Donald Glover.
Quick Donald Glover Facts:
- Donald Glover was born at the Edwards Air Force Base in California.
- He graduated from NYU with a degree in Dramatic Writing.
- He is one-fifth of the sketch troupe Derrick Comedy, who created a number of popular short films on the Internet. Their first feature film, Mystery Team, was released in 2009.
- In 2008, Glover became a staff writer on the third season of the critically acclaimed sitcom 30 Rock. He won a Writers Guild of America award for Best Sitcom in 2009 for his work on the show.
- In 2009, he became a cast member on the NBC sitcom Community, alongside fellow comedians Joel McHale and Chevy Chase. He left the show during the fifth season.
- His first hour-long stand-up special, Weirdo, premiered on Comedy Central in late 2011.
- Glover is a successful recording artist under the name Childish Gambino. He was signed to the recording label Glassnote in 2011.
Additional Donald Glover Facts:
- In addition to being a writer and actor, Glover regularly performs stand-up comedy. His first Comedy Central Presents stand-up special premiered in March of 2010.
- In 2009, Variety picked Glover as one of 10 Comics to Watch.
- Glover is also an accomplished musician, recording electronic music under names like Childish Gambino and Sir Durton Cloud 9. Glover wrote and recorded the score for Mystery Team.
- In 2010, Glover started his own grassroots campaign to be considered for the role of Spider-Man in the 2011, Marc Webb–directed reboot of the franchise. The movement quickly caught on and a Facebook fan page garnered thousands of followers.
- He was given the Rising Star award at the 2010 Just for Laughs festival in Montreal.
- His second Childish Gambino album, Because the Internet, was nominated for two Grammys for Best Rap Album and Best Rap Performance in 2014.
- Glover has had supporting roles in films including The Lazarus Effect, Magic Mike XXL, and The Martian.
With her own unique flare and infectious sense of humor, Issa Rae’s content has garnered over 25 million views and close to 200,000 subscribers on YouTube. In addition to making the Forbes 30 Under 30 list twice and winning the 2012 Shorty Award for Best Web Show for her hit series “The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl,” Issa Rae has worked on web content for Pharrell Williams, Tracey Edmonds, and numerous others. She developed a TV series with Shonda Rhimes for ABC and is currently developing a half-hour comedy, Insecure, for HBO. Rae is also the New York Times bestselling author of The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl released by Atria/Simon & Schuster in 2015.
Issa Rae is signed with UTA and 3 Arts Entertainment.