Want to add a tropical flair to your dinner experience? Do it with this Caribbean-inspired dish. Simply by using some Trinidadian-inspired flavors to create the perfect palette, it will transform this American seasonal favorite into something fresh. This recipe is a perfect starter for any holiday meal!
CURRY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
A Creamy Curry Butternut Squash Soup with sweet potato, coconut milk, and Trinidad yellow curry powder. A simple tasty soup that’s perfect for the fall and winter months.
1 Tbsp olive or coconut oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
6 sprigs fresh thyme, stems removed
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
1 medium butternut squash, peeled and cubed, about 4 cups
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 medium yellow bell pepper, diced
6 cups plain water
1 (14-ounce) can unsweetened light coconut milk
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp kosher salt
1⁄4 cup sour cream
4 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
Combine all ingredients together
1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat, and sauté́ onions and garlic for 1 minute.
2. Add ginger, thyme, turmeric, and curry powder, and continue to cook for 1 minute stirring constantly.
3. Add butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, and bell pepper, and continue sautéing for another 2 minutes until well coated.
4. Add water, coconut milk, pepper, and salt and cook covered on medium heat until butternut squash, sweet potato, and carrot are soft and fork tender (about 30 minutes).
5. Remove soup from heat and puree with an immersion blender or blender until smooth.
6. Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed. Continue cooking for a few more minutes over medium heat.
7. Serve in soup bowls garnished with a dollop of cilantro crème and a sprig on the top.
Additional garnish idea: Add curry-roasted shrimp.